The 3rd Big Data Europe (BDE) workshop in domain of the EU Societal Challenge 6 – Europe in a Changing World: Inclusive, Innovative and Reflective Societies (SC6) was held on 11 September 2017 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
The title and topic of the workshop was: The importance of Metadata & Big Data in OpenScience – where are we and where are we going to
It was organised by CESSDA ERIC and the Semantic Web Company (SWC), both beneficiaries in the BigDataEurope project, as an official workshop of the SEMANTiCS2017 conference. Around 45+ participants joined the workshop – 2/3 officially registered and 1/3 participating from the SEMANTiCS2017 audience ad-hoc by registering on-site.
The workshop offered high-quality talks by several experts in the fields of social sciences, smart statistics and open science as Ron Dekker (Director of Cessda), Peter Doorn (Director of DANS) or Fernando Reis (Big Data team Eurostat) as well as an open panel discussion with Q&A from the audience and finally a presentation of the SC6 pilot implementation on ‘Citizen Budget on Municipal Level’ and was overall a great success.
Workshop opening by Ivana Versic and Sören Auer
Panel discussion with Peter Doorn, Ron Dekker and Fernando Reis (left to right)
- 13.00 – 13:30 Registration, Snacks and Coffee
- 13:30 – 13:40 Welcome by Big Data Europe, Ivana Versic (Cessda)
- 13:40 – 14:00 The European Research Data landscape, Peter Doorn (Director of DANS)
- 14.00 – 14:30 European Open Science Agenda: where we are and where we are going to, Ron Dekker (Cessda)
- 14:30 – 15:00 Fernando Reis, Eurostat big data team
- 15.00 – 15:30 Open Discussion (with Speakers Panel): The Importance of Metadata and Big Data in OpenScience / in a Research Infrastructure
- 15:30 – 16:00 Coffee break
- 16.00 – 16:45 The Big Data Integrator & the BDE Pilots on top, Aad Versteden (TenForce) & Martin Kaltenböck (SWC)
- 16:45 – 17:00 Outlook Big Data Europe & Fare Well, Ivana Versic (Cessda) and Martin Kaltenböck (SWC)
The full report on the workshop is available BDE workshop 09112017_report – all slides and further information can be found in the InfoBox below.
Title: Big Data Europe SC6: The importance of Metadata & Big Data in OpenScience – where are we and where are we going to