The aim of the workshop, the second of a scheduled series on the domain, is the continuation of the identification of current and future challenges for data management and analysis in the energy domain; challenges to be tackled with the evolving Big Data technology. In the second workshop the discussion was focused in energy distribution (smart grids) and in energy efficiency (building sector). In the workshop real examples of the challenges and complexities of using big data in these fields were discussed.
In parallel the technical advances in BDE were presented in terms of the platform development and the pilot application in energy domain.
The workshop addressed an audience composed by organisation representatives, EC officials, service providers, researchers and IT engineers.
The workshop was divided in four parts:
Part I: The general introduction to the BDE background, objectives and targets, as well as an overview of the tools and technologies envisaged within the project was presented by BDE coordinator (Dr. S. Scerri, Franhofer/IAIS).
Part II: Keynote presentations on data management challenges in domain fields.
Topic A: Electricity Industry
A review of the EU Commission activities and priorities in the energy domain was presented by Dr. Marc van Stiphout (EC ENER C.2).
The views of the European Smart Energy Association and ETP platform were presented by Dr. M. Chebbo (ETP SmartGrids/SAP). The presenter, being a senior executive in SAP, also presented related research projects and the commercial side of the available technological solutions.
A review of the data management challenges in distributed electricity generation and smart grids was presented by Mr. A. Bernardo (EFACEC), representing a systems and service provider for the energy generation and distribution industry.
Topic B: System Monitoring
The data acquisition challenge in System Monitoring of energy systems was presented by BDE partner (CRES).
Topic C: Energy Efficiency in Buildings
The data management challenges in the energy efficiency in buildings were presented by Dr. J. Laustsen (EPBD/2peach), the coordinator of Energy Performance on Buildings Concerted Action. The design and data requirements for BEMS (Building Energy Management Systems) were presented by A. Androutsopoulos (CRES).
Use cases, related research projects and IT applications in the field were presented by Dr. M. Skrjanc (Jozef Stefan Institute, Slovenia) and Dr. T. Hubina (CSI Piemonte).
Part II: BDE advances
The BDE platform (i.e. architecture, implementation, guidelines) was presented by the BDE technical partner A. Versteden (TENFORCE), whereas the developing pilot in the domain was presented by F. Mouzakis (CRES).
A. Workshop full report
B. Slides & Presentations
- Workshop Agenda
- BDE: Empowering Communities with Data Technologies (BDE coordinator, Franhofer IAIS)
- Big Data and Future Energy (M. Chebbo, ETP Smartgrids/SAP)
- Data Management and Analytics in Smart Grids comprising distributed generation (A. Bernardo, EFACEC)
- BDE Platform: Technical overview (A. Versteden, TENFORCE)
- System monitoring: Data acquisition challenge (F.Mouzakis, CRES)
- Pilot case in System Monitoring in Energy (F. Mouzakis, CRES)
- Energy Efficiency in Buildings. Data related challenges and opportunities (J. Laustsen, EPBD)
- Building Energy Management Systems: System design and data requirements (A. Androutsopoulos, CRES)
- Smart Data Platform: Big Data for Energy Efficiency projects (T. Hubina, CSI Piemonte)
- Energy efficiency: Big Data challenges from case studies (M. Skrjanc,Jozef Stefan Institute, Slovenia)
Link to the Photos slideset on the public BDE Flickr account.