The BigDataEurope societal challenge on transport (SC4) hosted its third, and final, workshop on 14th September in Brussels. This workshop aimed to show the added value that the Big Data Integrator Platform can bring to the transport sector and to collect feedback from participants on how the platform can be extended and improved to facilitate further applications. The workshop also featured a series of speeches discussing the transformation that big data is bringing to the transport industry and presenting some of the current EU funded projects working with transport and big data.
The workshop was attended by 40 participants, including representatives of industry, research institutes, as well as the European Commission and different public administrations. This diverse background of the participants helped facilitate lively debates in the afternoon session, where participants were able to voice their opinions and discuss and learn from each other.
The morning session featured speeches from Ms Maria Rautavirta (Finnish Ministry of Transport and Communications), Mr Rodrigo Castineira (INDRA), Victor Corral (ATOS), and Mr Arnaud Burgess (Panteia). Participants had a chance to learn about the Finnish success of making data open and implementing Mobility-as-a-Service initiatives, as well as the recently launched EU funded projects TransformingTransport, AutoMat, and LeMO. Then, Luigi Selmi (Fraunhofer IAIS) and Josep Maria Salanova (CERTH) presented the Big Data Integrator Platform, which was developed by the BigDataEurope project. The afternoon of the workshop centred on the question of how to facilitate take-up of project results. The lively discussions provided a lot of useful feedback for the BigDataEurope project.
The presentations are available here:
- Simon Scerri (Fraunhofer IAIS) – BigDataEurope Project
- Maria Rautavirta (Finnish Ministry of Transport and Communications) – Data Fuelling the Disruption of Mobility
- Rodrigo Castineira (INDRA) – Transforming Transport Project
- Victor Corral (ATOS) – AutoMat Project
- Arnaud Burgess (Panteia) – LEMO Project
- Luigi Selmi (Fraunhofer IAIS) – Pilot SC4
- Josep Maria Salanova (CERTH) – BigDataEurope Use Case in Thessaloniki
- Luigi Selmi (Fraunhofer IAIS) and Josep Maria Salanova (CERTH) – Demonstration of the Big Data Integrator Platform – Front end services
Flick through a selection of photos from the workshop day below.
The full report from the workshop is available here.
More photos from the event and previous SC4 workshops are available on the BigDataEurope Flickr.