With the BigDataEurope project finalizing its first round of pilots, a second online hang-out event “The Open PHACTS pilot” was organized by the Open PHACTS Foundation and the VU University Amsterdam on the 6th of July 2016 (11.00-12-00 CET). This online event, followed by members of SMEs and public entities from Europe, aimed to keep everybody updated on the “Health, Demographic Change and Wellbeing” Horizon 2020 Societal Challenge activities in the framework of the project, in particular on the description of the pilot currently under development for the Big Data Europe platform.
For this challenge the Open PHACTS foundation, Manchester University and the VU Amsterdam are working on the Open PHACTS docker and its integration with the Big Data Europe infrastructure.
The Open PHACTS Discovery Platform is bringing together pharmacological data resources in an integrated, interoperable infrastructure, and has been developed to reduce barriers to drug discovery in industry, academia and for small businesses.
The Hangout provided:
– a general overview of the infrastructure and the status of the generic components that are being developed
– an outline of the Societal Challenge and the rationale for the pilot
– a demonstration of the pilot
– a look into the future pilot options
The intended audience were people acquainted with basic development tools like Docker and GitHub with an interest in Big Data and Drug Discovery.
The recorded session can be viewed here:
– Ronald Siebes (VU University Amsterdam)
– Bryn Williams-Jones (Open PHACTS Foundation)
– Stian Soiland-Reyes (BioExcel and University of Manchester)
– Erika Pauwels (TenForce)
– Aad Versteden (TenForce)
The slides are available on SlideShare: